Better Qualified Candidates

There's a specific sound my laptop makes when an email loads before I've even opened it, a small vibration, the little number changing at the top of a tab. I've learned to read that sound now. Not the words inside it. Just the sound. Most days, before I click anything, I already know.

"We've decided to move forward with other candidates who are better qualified at this time."

I could recite it before I've finished reading it. Different logo at the top, different name in the signature, same sentence wearing a different shirt. The first time I read it, months ago, it felt personal, like a door closing with my name on it. By the twentieth time, it stopped feeling like anything at all. That's the part nobody warns you about. Not the rejection. The moment rejection stops registering, and you realize you've been quietly rewired to expect it before you've even hit send.

I didn't stop sending, though. That's the detail I keep coming back to, because it's the only one that actually matters.


I come from a lab, not a newsroom or a marketing floor. Before any of this, my days were spent bent over vegetable oil samples, ten to fifteen of them, one after another, checking each against a standard nobody expected me to already know by heart. Half of what I documented was what had gone wrong. That was allowed. Encouraged, even. A result you didn't expect was still a result, and the job was to write it down honestly and figure out what to do next, not to have arrived already knowing the answer.

Job hunting has no equivalent grace. Somewhere along the way, "entry-level" quietly stopped meaning what it says. A growing share of roles labeled entry-level now ask for years of experience already in hand before you're even considered. Nobody rewrote the definition out loud. They just changed what's expected while keeping the old sign on the door.

So you end up in a room with no entry, being asked how you got in.


I'm writing this from Lagos, which matters more to this story than I used to admit. A large share of the roles I apply to advertise themselves as remote, open, borderless, "work from anywhere." Most aren't. Truly location-open roles, the kind that mean what they say, are far rarer than the postings suggest. The rest just don't say the quiet part out loud until you're three questions into an application that assumes you're somewhere you're not.

I know I'm not the only person finding this out the hard way. "Remote" can mean something very different depending on where you're applying from. It's not a sob story. It's a design flaw in how global hiring pretends to work versus how it actually operates, and pretending otherwise doesn't make the application go through any faster.


The rejections used to be the hard part. Then they became the easy part, because at least a rejection tells you the process reached an end.

What's actually harder is the silence. No note, no auto-reply, no closed loop, just an application that seems to enter a room and never leave it. I've since learned that's not always about me either. Plenty of employers have posted roles they weren't actually ready to fill, sometimes to build a pipeline or keep a hiring option open. The silence isn't always rejection. Sometimes there was no door there to begin with, just a wall built to look like one.

Knowing that doesn't make the waiting shorter. It does make it less personal.


Maybe that's the strangest part of all this. You can spend months learning the work, building things, getting better at them, and still struggle to convince someone you've done any of it. Sometimes the hardest part isn't becoming qualified. It's getting someone to see that you already are, inside fifteen seconds, on a screen, before they move to the next file.


Here's what I haven't stopped doing, through all of it. I never waited for someone to hand me permission to start. I still build. I still write. I still put an idea out, look honestly at whether it landed, fix what didn't, and go again, the same instinct that once had me bent over lab samples now has me structuring articles around real search intent and checking whether they actually get read. I didn't wait for a job title to start doing the work a job title was supposed to unlock.

Nobody has told me yet that I'm the better qualified candidate. I'm not writing this because I've found the ending. I'm writing this from inside it, still sending, still building, still checking that small vibrating number at the top of the tab.

Some tests take longer than others to show a result. I know that better than most people applying right now. I'm still running mine.

Comments