How to Switch From Science to SEO (No Marketing Degree)

 Short answer: You don't need a marketing degree to move from science into SEO. You need the habit science already gave you. Test something, look honestly at what happened, fix what's wrong, and test again.

SEO also starts with research, not writing. You have to understand what someone is actually searching for and why before you write anything. That's not so different from understanding a problem before running an experiment on it. Once you know that, the loop is familiar. Write it, check what the data says, change what didn't work, and test again. I made this switch with a BSc in Chemistry, no bootcamp and no second degree. Just the same habit, pointed at a different subject.

Why did I leave chemistry for SEO?

I've always been interested in tech and in how things work. I like figuring out what drives something, what is happening underneath the surface that makes a result come out the way it does. In the lab, that meant asking why a sample's peroxide value was off. Now it means asking why a page isn't ranking, or why an AI tool isn't mentioning a piece of content at all.

It's the same curiosity. Just aimed at something new.

Does a science background actually help in SEO?

Yes, more than most career advice admits. People assume that if you studied science, you have to start from zero to get into SEO. You don't. You already have a useful foundation. You just haven't connected it to this field yet.

Here's the process I followed every day as a QC lab intern, testing 10 to 15 vegetable oil samples for FFA, moisture, peroxide value, color, and titration:

Step in the lab Same step in SEO work
Run a test on a sample Check how a page or piece of content is performing
Compare the result to a known standard Compare against competitors or SEO best practice
Identify what is off Identify what is missing or weak (structure, keywords, depth)
Make an adjustment Make a content or structural change
Test again Re-check rankings or visibility after the change
Document the result Track the change in Search Console or GA4

I also trained new interns on how to run these tests correctly. That meant taking something technical and explaining it clearly enough that someone with zero background could actually follow it, without assuming they'd fill in the gaps themselves.

My tutoring work lines up with this almost exactly. I taught general science to primary school students, and biology and chemistry to secondary students. Most of that job wasn't about knowing the material. It was figuring out why an explanation wasn't landing, then changing it until it did.

That's also what AI search tools look for. When you study how tools like Claude, ChatGPT, and Perplexity decide what to cite, the same pattern shows up again and again. They prefer content that makes sense on its own, without needing extra explanation. Each section should answer one idea clearly enough that it can be pulled out and used by itself.

Being complicated doesn't help you get cited. Being clear does. It's not about writing the most technically impressive explanation. It's about writing the one that leaves the least room for confusion.

What did I actually do to make the switch?

I did not quit chemistry and become an SEO analyst overnight. I built toward it step by step:
  • Completed an AI Search Optimization Masterclass, focused on how content shows up, or fails to show up, in tools like ChatGPT, Perplexity, and Google AI Overviews, not just traditional search. I scored 100% on the final exam.
  • Completed a Content Optimization course covering on-page SEO, technical SEO basics, internal linking, and how ranking actually works.
  • Currently working through Google's GA4 course, so I can measure and report on content performance, not just write it.
None of this needed a new university degree. It needed the same approach I would use for any new subject: learn the fundamentals properly, then prove I can apply them.

How do you get SEO experience with no job history?

You build it yourself, and you document it the way you would document any real piece of work. This is what I am doing right now, through three portfolio projects:

Project What it proves
Project 1: Personal content site (this article) Real keyword research, on-page optimization, and before/after Search Console data (full case study coming soon)
Project 2: AI search (GEO) case study Understanding of how content becomes visible in AI tools like ChatGPT and Perplexity, ahead of most junior candidates
Project 3: GA4 reporting sample Ability to measure and report on impact, not just create content

Each one is proof, not just a claim on a resume. If you are making a similar switch, this is the move: stop waiting for a job to hand you experience, and build the evidence yourself.

Do you need a marketing degree to work in SEO?

No, but a lot of job listings still ask for one anyway, out of habit. Most people actually working in SEO didn't start out with a marketing degree, and more employers now care about real skills and work samples than the diploma itself.

What really matters is being able to think analytically, do careful research, test an idea, look honestly at the results, and adjust based on what you find. If you've done real lab or research work, a science background can teach you this discipline in a way a general marketing or business degree doesn't. A marketing degree gives you the vocabulary. Real research or lab work gives you the process behind it.

FAQ

Do you need to know how to code to start in SEO?

No. You don't need to write code to do SEO well. What helps more is understanding the basics, things like title tags, meta descriptions, and what makes a page load fast or work on mobile. You don't have to fix these yourself. You just need to know what they are and be able to flag a problem. Coding becomes useful later for more technical tasks, but it's not something you need on day one.

How long does a switch from science to SEO usually take?

The first month is usually enough to learn the basics: keyword research, search intent, and simple on-page changes. Getting good enough to actually improve a real page takes three to six months of regular practice. Feeling confident enough to run a full strategy usually takes six to twelve months.

The biggest factor isn't time spent reading. It's time spent doing the work on a real page and checking what happened.

What is the difference between traditional SEO and AI search optimization (GEO)?

Traditional SEO is about ranking high enough in search results that someone clicks your link. GEO is about getting your content picked and quoted directly inside an AI answer, sometimes with no click at all.

Both need clear, well-structured, genuinely useful content. The difference is what each system trusts. Search engines lean on backlinks and clicks. AI tools lean more on how deeply you cover a topic and whether your information matches what other trusted sources say.

Can you learn SEO while still working another job?

Yes. Most of the work breaks into small pieces: research one keyword, write one page, check your Search Console data once a week. None of that needs a big block of free time. Five to ten hours a week is usually enough to make steady progress.

It'll take longer than doing it full time, but you'll land in the same place either way. What matters most is staying consistent and actually applying what you learn.

Is SEO a good career for someone with no marketing experience?

Yes, especially if you're comfortable with data and like figuring things out through testing. The hard part usually isn't the field itself. It's proving you can do the work before you have a formal track record.

Do I need certifications to be taken seriously?

Not strictly, but they help early on, especially before you have real paid work to point to. They fill the gap while you build an actual portfolio.

Can I get an SEO job through a portfolio alone, without agency experience?

Yes, though it takes more effort to prove. Hiring managers usually care more about seeing real, tracked results, things like actual Search Console or GA4 data, than about where you learned the skill.


What I'm building next

This article is the start of a series, not a one time post. I am writing a full case study on how I built and optimized this site, including my keyword research process and real before and after Search Console data, next. After that, I will document the AI search case study and the GA4 report, with real data as I go, not just theory. If you are on a similar path, science background or not, I will show exactly what worked, what did not, and what I would do differently.

Comments